Friday, March 19, 2010

Like a Kid in a Candy Store

I think Democrats will ultimately get the votes they need to pass the health care bill. At this moment, it seems very likely they are going to take a beating in the elections either way.

I'd compare their situation to the kid who gets caught shoplifting a candy bar from a store and, realizing the jig is up, has to decide what to do next.

I think that the Democrats will conclude that they may as well eat the candy bar.

Whether that applies to them individually as well as collectively, I'm not sure.

1 comment:

  1. Even on an individual candidate level, my first reaction is that--at this point-- would probably be wise for Yes-voting Democrats to take ownership of this healthcare plan rather than to bemoan it as a compromise.
    I haven't parsed the polls, but there's a certain logic to it. The biggest reason, and I think you hit the nail on the head, is that the die is cast with the vote tally. Most people who are going to vote already know the bill, or in any case, will already have some pretty strong opinions about it come election time. If people are angry about it, it will be hard to explain away a "yes" vote. If people are happy with it, "yes-voters" stand to gain (although, even if it's a resounding success, the degree to which Democrats could benefit is far from a sure or uniform thing).

    ReplyDelete